Dental crowns are most frequently recommended to restore and protect teeth which have sustained significant damage or decay. They are custom-made to fit over the entire tooth, restoring the original shape and size of the tooth and preventing any further damage from occurring. Many crowns today are also made of tooth-colored materials to ensure an aesthetic final result that also restores your appearance, though your dental crown can also be made of gold or another metal if you prefer.
While crowns are typically provided to restore damaged teeth, they are a highly versatile restorations, and our dentist may also recommend them to:
- Protect a tooth following a root canal treatment
- Anchor and attach a dental bridge
- Cap and complete a dental implant
- Improve the appearance of your smile
- Improve a misshapen tooth
- Strengthen teeth that are fractured or weak
- Support teeth that have large fillings and little remaining natural tooth structure
Most dental crowns require two appointments to complete. At the first appointment, Dr. Jon Glenn will take impressions of your teeth and prepare them to receive the crowns. These impressions will be sent to a lab and temporary crowns will be placed to protect your teeth while your final crown is being created. At your second appointment, our dentist will check that your crown fits before bonding it permanently into your mouth.
We invite you to call us at 949-644-0071 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Glenn and find out if a dental crown in Newport Beach, California, is right for you!