As part of our commitment to helping you maintain excellent oral and overall health through quality dental care, our dentist and team strive to detect and diagnose any dental conditions or abnormalities as early as possible. Oral pathology is an important part of the examination and diagnosis process, as it allows us to determine the exact type of condition affecting your oral health and to create a treatment plan that meets your unique needs.
When you visit our office for your dental exams, our dentist will check for changes in your oral health and appearance that may signal a pathological issue. The most serious of these issues is oral cancer, but we may also detect problems such as salivary gland disorders, mumps, odontogenic infection and more. Common signs of a pathological process or cancerous growth include:
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Sores in the mouth, lips, face or neck that bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks
- Difficulty or pain when chewing or swallowing
- Lumps or thickening in the skin lining the inside of the mouth
- Red, white or speckled red-and-white patches in the mouth
- Changes in your bite or in how your oral appliances fit
If you notice any of these symptoms, we strongly encourage you to contact our office at 949-644-0071. Dr. Jon Glenn will perform a thorough exam, including the use of diagnostic techniques and tools such as X-rays, and identify the exact type of problem affecting your oral and overall health. Early detection is key to successful treatment, so please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
For more information about oral pathology in Newport Beach, California, and to schedule your consultation, give us a call today!