Oral cancer, like all forms of cancer, can be deadly if undiagnosed and untreated. However, when diagnosed early, it is one of the easiest forms of cancer to treat. Our dentist and team are dedicated to doing everything possible to detect and treat oral cancer in the earliest possible stage and to provide oral cancer screenings to every patient who visits our office as part of their routine dental exams and cleanings.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, throat, sinuses, and hard and soft palates. Common signs of oral cancer include:
- A feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- A persistent sore throat
- Changes in the bite or in the fit of oral appliances such as dentures
- Difficulty chewing, speaking or swallowing
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps or rough spots on the soft oral tissues
- Persistent or lasting sores on the face, neck or mouth that do not heal within two weeks and which bleed easily
- Red, white or speckled red-and-white patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain or numbness in the face, neck and mouth
We encourage you to contact our office at 949-644-0071 and schedule an oral cancer screening in Newport Beach, California, with Dr. Jon Glenn if you notice these symptoms or experience other types of dental pain. We are committed to helping you stay as healthy as possible.