While standard bitewing X-rays provide our dentist and team with a view of a few teeth and their supporting bone structure, a more comprehensive view of the teeth and jaws is necessary to ensure you receive the best possible care. Dr. Jon Glenn uses a state-of-the-art panorex machine to capture a full view of your upper and lower dental arches, including all the teeth, the jawbones and the surrounding facial features. This panoramic view allows us to:
- Analyze the development of periodontal disease
- Determine the need for orthodontic treatment and evaluate the progress of that treatment
- Diagnose abscesses, cysts and tumors
- Diagnose impacted teeth and impacted wisdom teeth
- Diagnose oral cancer
- Diagnose tooth decay and other dental problems
- Evaluate the extent of dental or facial trauma
- Evaluate the jaw joint to diagnose TMJ disorders or related problems
- Plan a dental implant placement procedure
Panoramic X-rays use an extraoral imaging process, meaning that all the imaging technology is outside of your mouth. The imaging process is quick and comfortable — you will simply stand in place while the panorex machine rotates around your head. The captured images are transmitted almost instantly to a nearby monitor where our dentist and team can view them and evaluate your oral health.
For more information about panoramic X-rays in Newport Beach, California, and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Glenn, contact us today at 949-644-0071.